Tuesday 4 April 2017

Jo Harman ... a great talent !

Good morning disciples ,believers ,,non-believers and just " don't knows " welcome to this week's edition of " Music For The Soul ". Today I want to tell you about a great English SOUL/blues/gospel talent whose new album " People We Become " is truly outstanding .

I was introduced to Jo's music by a great friend who I signed to Virgin Records a few years ago....another lady with a great voice...Eugenie Arrowsmith who is currently making some terrific new music with her husband ,the supremely gifted Pepps Pepper . Once there's something I can share with you I will.

So who is Jo Harman ? She was born in Luton but raised in that well-known hotbed of SOUL music....Lustleigh in Devon . The Soul Guru grew up in rural Gloucestershire, Alice Russell in Suffolk and Jo in Devon.......we all share a love of SOUL music .....I think it was something in the country air that lead us to live SOUL lives !

After releasing her debut album " Live At The Hideaway " in 2011 it was her debut studio album " Dirt On My Tongue " that started to make the British Blues community take notice of a prodigious new voice .
The beautiful track written about her father " Sweet Man Moses " was nominated for Best Composition at 2012's British Blues Awards but to these ears it's a great SOUL song....here's link to the track on youtube .....ENJOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYMIi8LyBzM

In February this year Jo released her stunning album " People We Become " which is the album Eugenie played me.....it's a  really outstanding SOUL album recorded in Nashville Tennessee with Producer  Fred Mollin . This quote from Jo's biog perfectly describes the sound " full of upright piano, Rhodes, unaffected bursts of electric guitar  and the SOULFUL sweep of Jo's vocal " " People We Become " is bringing Jo and her music to much wider audience .

The debut single " When We Were Young " ,featuring the legendary Michael McDonald on backing vocals , was playlisted on Radio 2......here's link to the video ,it's a fabulous song that shows just what a great SOUL voice Jo has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWw7ixwKjs

As Jo said " I've learned how to express myself a bit better , and to convincingly put across the stories I'm telling "

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jo live yet but I'm sure I will sooner rather than later as I'm told she's absolutely brilliant .
If you like great SOUL songs beautifully played and sung then Jo Harman's " People We Become " is HIGHLY recommended.....listen on Spotify then buy on i-tunes or CD .

The Soul Guru loves YOU xx

No comments:

Post a Comment