Tuesday 28 March 2017

John Legend is the " new " Marvin Gaye

Good morning disciples,believers,non-believers,sceptics and just " don't knows "....welcome to The Soul Guru's " Music For The Soul " ....not just about SOUL music but about music that touches my Soul .
Today's subject does just that....in fact I think he is the " new " Marvin Gaye.....Marvin is my hero,my idol my inspiration so I don't say that lightly . He's also a fine actor too who is great inLa La Land .

Originally I didn't pay him much attention ,thinking he was just another SOUL lover-man whose music was lightweight and insubstantial but in the years since the release of his debut album " Get Lifted " he has matured into a truly great artist who sings songs of social injustice for African Americans in the USA .....his latest album " Darkness And Light " is a great contemporary SOUL album ...but more of that later .

The first time I realised what a great artist he is was when I listened to his album  in collaboration with The Roots " Wake Up " which included covers of seminal SOUL songs .Inspired by the 2008 US Presidential election and includes covers of some of the great 60's and 70's SOUL songs including Marvin's " Wholy Holy " , Donny Hathaway's " Little Ghetto Boy " , and the brilliant " Hard Times " by Baby Huey and The Babysitters ( what a great name for a band ! ) . Here's a great live performance with The Roots and Black Thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxMm0lYx08

If you haven't heard the album I urge you to listen.....it's a classic .

2013's " Love In The Future "  is another good album ,executive Produced by John,Kanye West and Dave Tozer I like it but found it a bit disappointing overall.....here the video to the first singlr from the album " Who Do We Think We Are " featuring Rick Ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYrpNHQ6hg

This brings me to his latest album " Darkness and Light " released in December 2016 . I really LOVE this album !
John Legend has an amazing SOUL voice ,he sounds better on each album . Featuring collaborations with Chance The Rapper , Brittany Howard and Miquel this is his best album so far .
Here's  " Penthouse Floor " featuring Chance The Rapper :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHdBsQFcYrw

The album's first single " Love Me Now " is a beautiful song with great lyrics and outstanding Production by Blake Mills and John Ryan....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCFY1oYDeM

The more I listen the more I love the album

John and Common collaborated on the Grammy Award winning " Glory " from Selma....a truly GREAT collaboration  from a GREAT movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZOKvYcx_o

John's career as an actoe is not to overlooked as those of us who have seen La La Land know but this is a post about John Legend's music career....a LEGEND of contemporary SOUL music

The Soul Guru loves YOU xx

No comments:

Post a Comment